Attentional Bias is the tendency for people’s perception to be affected by their recurring thoughts at the time. One popular example is when executives are at airports, they pick up the most recent best-selling business book, read the back cover and then use that as the focus point for the remainder of the week’s business meetings. Attentional biases may explain an individual’s failure to consider alternative possibilities, as specific thoughts guide the train of thought in a certain manner.

A useful counter-measure is to ask yourself: If I could only give 25% of my attention to this one particular thing, what would the other 75% of attention be used for?

For a full list of the most common biases, click here.